Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Addie Anne

Addie is killing me lately. In a good way. I've made a concerted effort to spend quality time with her every morning while the older kids are at school and while Violet's asleep, which is so super fun. There are also times, however, when I can't be playing with her (e.g., doing dishes, laundry, random tasks of motherhood, etc.), and she finds ways to entertain herself.

Like this morning, she brought an enormous stack of books downstairs, had me "tuck her in" to the couch with her blankie, and she spent a good portion of time reading to herself and laughing at the funny parts. I'd glance over at her occasionally, and she had her ankles crossed in front of her, hair falling in her eyes, and total concentration.

And like yesterday, after I played chess with her (don't worry...apparently, House Rules are that her guys can move anywhere on the board AND jump my guy in the same move. Even the pawns. She won in about 12 moves.), she kept them out and played against herself, while making the pieces have meaningful conversations amongst themselves. They talked about going dancing after the game... my money's on the knight's horse having 3 left feet. 

Plus she oooohs and aaaahs over my simple dinners like pasta and veggies. And whenever she falls or trips, she'll get up and brush herself off and assure me, "I'm otay, mom. I'm otay." And she tells me that, since Violet's the baby, she herself doesn't need naps anymore... and then she'll curl up with me with her blanket and fall asleep. And she rubs my back and "does" my hair sometimes. And she coos adorably at Violet and plays so cute (usually) with her older brother and sister.

Paul and I tell her that she can't get older. She's practically perfect as she is.

3 comments:

val said...

Sounds perfect to me. A perfect thing to have recorded.

Colleen said...

That's so cute.

I'm behind on blogs and missed that you had your baby so late congratulations!

two birds said...

don't you love that just when you think they are at a perfect age, they grow up and show you something new and fun, and you then love that age more? that's the fun of having kids!